Amelia Ruvich, Co-owner of dNB Burgers in New Bedford
Amelia Ruvich is a participant in the 2016-17 SouthCoast StreetWise ‘MBA’ program, graduating on Tuesday, April 11th in New Bedford, MA. The StreetWise ‘MBA’ program provides small business owners all across the country with the business knowledge, management know-how, and the networks needed to grow their established small businesses. dNB Burgers brings gourmet hamburgers made from locally-sourced ingredients to the city of New Bedford. Everything is made by hand – from grinding their own meat daily, to making spicy ketchup from scratch.
Through the StreetWise ‘MBA’ program, participants craft a 3-year Strategic Growth plan, which becomes their road-map for immediately implementing changes within their business that have been inspired by the program. Here are a few things dNB Burgers has already implemented, even before graduating from the program.
Since beginning Interise, dNB has made several changes to begin the growth process.
- Bought a beer and wine license for a revenue boost–to afford staff changes and other coasts of growth.
- Expanded their space and opened the upstairs in Sept. 2016. This brought the seating up to 50 seats total. 5 more tables and a new bar!– much more accommodating to growing customer base.
- Diversified the menu to help ease the load of patrons on the small under equipped service kitchen. They added appetizers, cocktails, and dessert to reduce strain on kitchen during service by lengthening table time.
- Created management positions to help with delegating responsibilities, freeing up more time to spend on the business
- Hired a bookkeeper and got a grasp on their books, understanding the books became paramount as cash flow grew tighter due to needs of the brand new space and bar
Thank you to all those who made this year’s program possible, including the Garfield Foundation, Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation, and the small business participants!